KFC USA Forum Index KFC USA
11 Herbs & Spices

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anecdotes & Stories...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KFC USA Forum Index -> Kentucky Fried Chicken History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ads

Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Ads

The Colonel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Anecdotes & Stories... Reply with quote

his thread is for folks who claim to have known, or just interacted, with the Colonel himself.

-----------------------------------

A Boy's Father & the Colonel

I also remember good KFC chicken, as, in the late 60's, being just a child when my father went to help open the first KFC franchise in New Orleans, my dad learned how to make chicken from the Colonel. I thought the Colonel was my great grandfather until I was older because we always had these pictures of the Colonel and my dad in our family photo album.

Dad would often bring home a bucket of chicken which my brothers and I always looked forward to. Man we would actually fight over the drumsticks.

My father was coerced (arm twisted) into leaving KFC by a group of gentlemen (racketeer's) from New Orleans to open the first Popeye's Chicken Franchise, there's no secret here except the role of cayenne pepper is not just to make the chicken taste good it also is spicy to make you crave it more and to purchase lots more soda. My dad know's how to make both styles of chicken, Kentucky and Cajun.

There is also a chicken franchise called Lee's Famous Recipe, the owner of this franchise is related to the Colonel. My son, dad, and I recently had dinner at a local KFC. They have the Colonel's picture up all over the place, but they really don't understand quality and service. I did come across a good KFC located in Newport Tennessee on a trip across the state. The food there was delicious. I also tried a KFC while in Tampico Mexico, awful not even close it was a total waste of money and time. It was hard to believe something that looked so close could have tasted so awful. I could not finish more than one bite of any item I tried on my plate, you know the basics, chicken brest, mashed potatoes, cole slaw, and the biscuit. It makes the KFC's here look like home cookin people.

- Posted by "The Ride" on the "Road Food" Forum...

----------------------------------

An Actual Witness to the Cooking of Original Recipe Chicken?

I saw the recipe made once by Col Sanders and know several of his first franchisees for Kentucky Fried Chicken. The small batch was in a 16 qt pressure cooker and had 11 herbs and spices in it. The process of how it was cooked and held was as important as the recipe for the final product. The best areas that ever had Kentucky Fried Chicken were Utah and parts of Fla because of family ties to the Col Sanders.

Here is a fact many do not know. Who had the Kentucky fried Chicken name first in use? The Colonel purchased the rights from Parkette drive -In of Lexington KY to use the name.

- Posted by "fbradjr" on the "Road Food" Forum...

------------------------------------

Only someone who actually met Colonel Sanders would know this!

I actually am a descendant of pete harman, who was kind of the brains and businessman behind the starting of the franchise, or so I have been led to believe.

Only registered users can see links on this forum!
Register or Login on forum!

This link talks a tiny bit about it. My grandfather was the architect for alot of the original restaurants and both he and my father have quite a few funny stories about the colonel. My father describes him as "one of the most foul-mouthed people I have ever met."

- Posted by "HughNibley" on the "Road Food" Forum...

-----------------------------------

Better to just let the Man Be!

When my dad owned a Spudnut Shop in the early 60s, Col. Sanders walked in, wearing the white suit (I'm assuming they'd just opened a branch in my hometown.) My father recognized the Colonel, even though he wasn't nearly so famous as he would eventually become.

Colonel Sanders asked for a glazed nut donut, which my dad provided. He then proceeded to pick off all the nuts, and then pick off the glaze. My dad said, "Colonel, we also have plain donuts if you'd prefer one." To which Colonel snapped back, "It's my G-D donut, I'll do with it whatever the hell I want!" One of the handlers with the Colonel gave my dad a look along the lines of, "Believe me, I know. Just leave him alone."

- Posted by "Spudnut" on the "Road Food" Forum...

------------------------------------

A Passionate Man...

"My mom's friend used to work at KFC, and she actually met Colonel Sanders. Apparently he's a really nice guy, and he was very passionate about the quality of his product."

- "wilkes85" - Youtube User
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KFC USA Forum Index -> Kentucky Fried Chicken History All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: