KFC USA Forum Index KFC USA
11 Herbs & Spices

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Colonel Sanders' Choice: Cooking Oil

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ads

Posted: Fri May 25, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject: Ads

The Colonel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Colonel Sanders' Choice: Cooking Oil Reply with quote

6) Corn or Cottonseed Shortening

Kentucky Fried Chicken initially used corn and/or cottonseed shortening (oil) to cook their chicken in...

Evidence -

Only registered users can see links on this forum!
Register or Login on forum!

Official KFC Manuals from 1971-1972 mention the following brands of shortening (in order of preference):

1) Kraft Red Label
2) Durkee Melvo, and
3) Hunt Super Wesson.

Regarding the first preference, according to a 1975 U.S court case - Kraft Foods v. Prudential Grace Lines - Kraft Red Label shortening is "composed of a mix of cottonseed oil and soyabean oil..."

Besides, a neutral, yet appealing, flavor, one of the main reasons for it's use by the KFC Corporation was due to its long cooking life. In other words, it could be used many times over without spoiling, as the following two quotes from the Industry Book, "Volume Feeding Institutions, V. 78" shows:

Quote:

"I fry 30 to 45 days with Kraft Red Label type shortening..."

"I get more frying life out of Kraft Red Label than any other brand of shortening..."

Finally, one last item of supporting evidence for the use of cottonseed shortening/oil (as well as corn oil) follows:

From the above link:

Quote:

KFCJ 'does chicken right' - for Japan's tastes

Nation's Restaurant News, Nov 14, 1988

"If we [i.e. KFC-Japan] switched to palm or soybean oil, we could save 30 percent," Ohkawara points out. But despite advice from the United States that taste would be unaffected by such a change, "we continue to stick to corn or cottonseed oil, as we have for 17 years," he adds."

It should be noted that the first Kentucky Fried Chicken Franchise was established in Japan in the year 1970. And it became an extremely successful Business to boot... Nine years later, Colonel Sanders visited Japan, and upon leaving, remarked:

Quote:

"Here in Japan, they do an excellent job. It's one of the best.

They've never changed one bit from what we taught them when they first started out. The fact that they've kept it uniform has paid off for them. They'll have more than 200 stores by the end of the year, they say..."

I don't know about you, the reader, but I personally couldn't think of a better endorsement if I tried Wink And if KFC-J was utilising cotton and/or corn oil in the 1970's and 80's, you can guarantee it's because they had Colonel Sanders approval to do so...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KFC USA Forum Index -> Cooking Oil All times are GMT - 9 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: